Questions You Might Have

  1. How can I contact you?  Click here for the Contact Us page.
  2. Do you offer counseling services? No, we no longer offer counseling, screening or referral services. If you are looking for these services, please reach out to a healthcare professional, teacher, clergy, friend or other person who might know about quality help in your area. Many local communities have information and referral services and their contact information should be found in local phone books or online. If you are wanting to die, or thinking about suicide, please take that seriously, even if you believe you would never harm yourself. In the United Sates, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. If you live elsewhere, search for your national or local phone numbers. If your need is immediate, call 911 or your local emergency number. Another option is to go to a hospital emergency center or to an urgent care facility. Help is available, but sometimes you have to persist to find an open door.
  3. How do you fund your operations? Our funding comes from volunteer contributions. We are grateful to all who help support our work.
  4. Do contributions qualify for tax deductions? Yes, we are an IRS approved 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.